Child Support

Following a divorce, paternity action, Oklahoma Child Support Services action, or other legal matter regarding children, it is of the utmost importance that children are provided support in their households.  To those ends, child support will be ordered by the Oklahoma Courts unless good cause is provided to the court that child support should not be entered.

Child support calculations, unlike alimony, are fairly rigid and based upon the Oklahoma Child Support Guidelines. These guidelines consider the incomes and earning abilities of the custodial and noncustodial parents, as applicable, as well as health care needs, daycare costs, and other potential expenses of the child or children. Other factors including time with the parent are also considered when determining a child support amount.  The amount in the child support guidelines are presumed to be correct however circumstances may be raised by your attorney regarding a higher or lower child support amount entered by the court. To determine an estimated amount of child support, Oklahoma Child Support Services have guidelines that are used to calculate child support guidelines.

Once child support is ordered, it continues until the last child reaches the age of 18, or the age of 20 if the youngest child is still enrolled in hight school. The child support amount can be changed in the future upon a finding that there have been a change in the circumstances. In the event that circumstances change, child support can be modified and is effective as of the date of filing your request with the court.  Circumstances that are an acceptable change of circumstances include, but are not limited to, an increase or decrease in the incomes of the parties, a change in the daycare costs, or change in the medical costs of the child or children.

After a child support order has been approved and entered by the Oklahoma courts in your legal matter, usually an income assignment will be sent to the employer of the individual paying child support.  Parties can agree not to apply an income assignment in some circumstance.  If an individual fails to pay child support, enforcement remedies such as a contempt or a motion to enforce the child support order are available remedies.  An individual found guilty of contempt can face up to six (6) months in jail, fined, and ordered to pay attorney fees.  If you have an open case with Child Support Services, they can enforce an order by intercepting tax returns, levying bank accounts, and revoking driver licenses.

Having worked on these and other related issues for almost 10 years, we at the Gower Law Offices are ready to help you and your loved ones transition in the best possible way. We will work directly with you to understand your unique situation and goals and move to help you resolve all issues as efficiently and effectively as possible. Our office will also work concurrently with Oklahoma Child Support Services to optimize your ability to enforce your support order.

We encourage you to get in touch and set up a consultation as soon as possible. To reach out and schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your legal issues with criminal defense and family law attorney Dustin Gower, call 405-592-6898 or email the firm.